Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Crossed Genres Special Issue

I'm not going to say much about this right now, largely because I'd rather address the underlying issues at length than lend my voice to summoning the shitstorm of outrage and recrimination that may be inevitable. So, I'll have more to say at some point but for now, the basics.

As explained in a straightforward, levelheaded way here, Crossed Genres magazine is having a special LGBTQ issue, which is of course pretty damn cool, to my mind. Sadly, it seems that their ad was not welcome on Flash Fiction Online, because of the editor's moral stance. Here's the ad.



It's hardly risqué, is it? Now on the one hand, rejecting an advert on ideological grounds is the editor's prerogative. On the other hand, where that ideology extends to an unspoken editorial policy that pretty much excludes any thematic critique of prejudicial morés regarding my sexuality, there I have a problem. To quote:

I would probably not publish stories where the purpose was to justify or condone homosexual relationships, polyamory, and so on — I reject all “message” stories, even those that I agree with — but that doesn’t imply that stories containing those elements will automatically be rejected.

Hmmm, I say. Hmmmmm. The problem is, of course, does even a neutral, naturalistic presentation of homosexuality as simply non-problematic read, to someone who disapproves of queerness, as a "message" that it's OK? To me, that "justify or condone homosexual relationships" smacks of Section 28's "promoting homosexality" in its vagueness. To me, this smacks of segregation. To me, this is a water fountain with a sign over it saying, "Straights only."

Anyway, as I say, I'm not going to comment on this at any great length right now, partly because I don't have time and partly because I want to take the time to articulate myself properly, but I certainly thought it was worth highlighting. Hell, if you want my views on this sort of policy, click through that "segregation" link and read that. Nuff said.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jordan Humphreys said...

Totally agree, I hadn't actually heard of Flash Fiction Online but after following this on the Outer Alliance Website am all for boycotting the fuck editor. Also looking forward to your articulate response ^_^

4:45 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

This recent "A Softer World" strip seems even more relevant today.

7:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy! I'm collecting commentary here, and am linking to this (if you want me to remove your link, just respond to this comment and tell me so).

1:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home